RE: [Videolib] Warner Brothers Entertainment vs Institutions?

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:39:21 -0700 (PDT)

I've been out for a few days and have missed this exchange...interesting.

Like it or not, Gary, movies have exerted more influence on the
collective, global psyche and on world culture than ANY form of print. If
that's librarian heresy, so be it. Hollywood has both reflected and
shaped popular culture for a century and a half now. Trying to ignore the
impact of movies or the popularity of the form is simply irresponsible.
The notion that movies are corrupting, less worthy or "educational" than
other forms of media is a pecularliarly victorian notion--one that, in my
view, endangers the viability of libraries as vital centers of learning,
entertainment and community.

The trick is to build collections of movies and other media that reflect
the needs and wants of a particular user population...much in the same way
we build book collections. Movies are many thing: sources of
entertainment, cultural and social "texts" (snapshots of the cultures that
created them), a port of cultural entery for non-native speakers, an
enduring aesthetic form (just as the novel is an enduring aesthetic
form)...and lots of other things. Building effective collections of
moving image materials demands a complex balancing of these functions, an
assessment of other community resources...

If the evils of the producers and distributors of movies are stumbling
blocks for you, you might as well also give up anything in print that
Rupert Murdoch or Ted Turner or countless other media moguls have had a
hand in putting on the shelves. You'd have pretty bare shelves.

UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000