Re: [Videolib] Warner Brothers Entertainment vs Institutions?

MileFilms@aol.com
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:26:07 EDT

--part1_86.2f29ab48.3042346f_boundary

In a message dated 8/27/05 11:47:45 AM, bread@rollinghills.lib.mo.us writes:

> Whoa! Sir!=A0 What about those distance ed students who are taking classes
> online=A0 (with reputable programs) or driving long distance? As a public
> librarian, I can tell you that the patron bases, in smaller cities in out
> of the way places, are seeing a rapid increase in the percentage that are
> college students every year.=A0 We buy more and more databases that can
> serve them and interloan more and more books AND visual media for them to
> see.
>=20

Agreed, of course, but even then, the heck with that! Let's take it one step=
=20
further. I use my library almost every week in regard to work and for=20
recreational reading and viewing -- and that's about twenty-five years after=
college.=20
And with interlibrary loans that have come about since I was studying, there=
=20
is so much more available to everyone. Since when are libraries only to be u=
sed=20
when you "have to"?

My only contribution to this whole ridiculous argument is that librarians ar=
e=20
hired to bring in the best available materials for their public. That's what=
=20
all the training is for. So it doesn't matter whether it's educational or ar=
t=20
or from a Hollywood studio. I love the concept, of course, of libraries=20
supporting us independents, but I also have to say that the patrons should h=
ave=20
access to as much as possible at their local free public library regardless=20=
of who=20
the publisher is. Not everybody can afford to rent videos everyweek from=20
Blockbuster nor do I believe their employees are that well-trained to guide=20=
their=20
customers to more stimulating fare.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (201) 767-3117 or (800) 603-1104 (in the US)
Fax: (201) 767-3035
Email: milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_86.2f29ab48.3042346f_boundary

Whoa! Sir!=A0 What ab= out those distance ed students who are taking classes
online=A0 (with reputable programs) or driving long distance? As a public librarian, I can tell you that the patron bases, in smaller cities in out of the way places, are seeing a rapid increase in the percentage that are college students every year.=A0 We buy more and more databases that can
serve them and interloan more and more books AND visual media for them to see.

Agreed, of course, but even then, the heck with that! Let's take it one s= tep further. I use my library almost every week in regard to work and for re= creational reading and viewing -- and that's about twenty-five years after c= ollege. And with interlibrary loans that have come about since I was studyin= g, there is so much more available to everyone. Since when are libraries onl= y to be used when you "have to"?

My only contribution to this whole ridiculous argument is that librarians ar= e hired to bring in the best available materials for their public. That's wh= at all the training is for. So it doesn't matter whether it's educational or= art or from a Hollywood studio. I love the concept, of course, of libraries= supporting us independents, but I also have to say that the patrons should=20= have access to as much as possible at their local free public library regard= less of who the publisher is. Not everybody can afford to rent videos everyw= eek from Blockbuster nor do I believe their employees are that well-trained=20= to guide their customers to more stimulating fare.