Re: [Videolib] Warner Brothers Entertainment vs Institutions?

Mike Boedicker (mboedicker@hotmail.com)
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:15:28 -0500

Gary,

You write:
>I would much prefer the library have the Stephen King novels than the
>Stephen King movies. At least reading is a gateway activity to becoming
>educated. I'd prefer to see the Harry Potter books in libraries but not
>the movies...

Why the double standard? What makes books inherently superior to video?
It's the content that matters, not the form. Who is learning more, the
reader of a Harlequin romance novel or the viewer of a NOVA episode?
Unfortunately, the emphasis of most libraries continues to be print literacy
rather than all-encompassing media literacy. Media librarians have been
fighting the print bias for years, but we rarely have to make our case to
video producers...

Have you ever worked in a public library? As laudable as your goals are,
the reality is that library users want entertainment media. I don't believe
that is ALL we should provide them, but I do believe we should provide the
BEST titles within the entertainment category. If I were to eliminate all
entertainment programs from the collection, I'd see circulation plummet and
my board asking "what's happening?" In my library, nonfiction videos/DVDs
comprise 50% of the video collection but account for less than 25% of video
circulation -- this despite CONSTANT promotion and marketing of the NF
collection (and it's a good & varied collection) and a longer loan period.
I've learned the hard way that you can't dictate people's tastes and
preferences. About the best you can do is work to determine your user's
needs and exercise your best judgment to meet those needs.

Mike

Mike Boedicker
Audiovisual Director & Webmaster
Danville Public Library
319 N. Vermilion, Danville, IL 61832
(217) 477-5223 ext. 123 / Fax: (217) 477-5230
Library site: http://www.danville.lib.il.us
Personal site: http://www.boedicker.net