Re: [Videolib] Warner Brothers Entertainment vs Institutions?

Gary Daniels (Gary@interruptProductions.com)
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 21:19:04 -0400

Some statistics from the Southern Poverty Law Center:

median net worth for Hispanic households is $7,932
median net worth for blacks $5,998
median net worth for whites $88,651

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?pid=918

If any public librarian can read those statistics and not think their
funds should be spent more on trying to educate blacks and hispanics and
less on entertaining whites, then public libraries should be shut down.
A poor person's need for education far, far outweighs some middle class
person's need for cheap or free entertainment.

The government subsidizes the local symphony but not the local boy band
for a reason.
The government subsidizes PBS but not the WB Network for a reason.
The government subsidizes libraries but not Blockbuster video for a reason.

The government doesn't have to subsidize popular entertainment because
popular entertainment is by definition readily available to the masses.
In fact, it takes effort to avoid it. (Somehow I know the words to quite
a few pop songs for which I don't even own the CD. I know the plots to
dozens of Hollwood movies I've never seen. I know every plot twist in tv
shows such as Friends that I've never seen a single episode of. Why?
Because the culture around me is saturated with popular culture.)

When I can go into a library and find a copy of Jaws but not find a
documentary on Great Whites, there's a serious problem. When I can find
Citizen Kane but not a documentary on his life and career or even a
biography about the man, there's a serious problem.

I would much prefer the library have the Stephen King novels than the
Stephen King movies. At least reading is a gateway activity to becoming
educated. I'd prefer to see the Harry Potter books in libraries but not
the movies. I'd prefer they, instead, bought an educational CD-ROM on
Alchemy which they would recommend to the kid who turns in the book.
Alchemy is the origins of modern chemistry. Maybe the kid would get
interested in science. If you want to use Harry Potter books to hook the
kid to get him through the library doors, great. Sounds like a clever
idea. But to then waste that opportunity by sending him to the Harry
Potter DVD or Lord of the Rings DVD seems unfortunate.

Another startling statisitic:

There are more and more foreign students in our graduate programs and
less and less American students and the deficit is growing at an
astonishing rate. Do those foreign kids have libraries that supply them
with the latest hollywood movies.....is that why they're so interested
in education? Do their undgrad programs use chase scenes and car crashes
in hollywood movies to entice them to learn physics and that's why
they're the top students in our university physics programs????

We put coke machines and candy machines in middle schools and then we're
surprised at the childhood obesity rates going up. We turn libraries
(and now college classrooms) into government subsidized Blockbuster
Videos and we're surprised that American kids are more interested in
being Brad Pitt than Thomas Edison.

Research studies have shown that, if given the choice between cocaine
and food, a mouse will starve to death because it will always choose
cocaine. Hollywood movies are cocaine. Books and other educational
materials are food.

If you can figure out a clever way to use a hollywood movie to redirect
the person who checked it out to an educational product later, perfect.
That's why you have a college degree: to figure these things out. But if
you can't then that movie shouldn't be in your collection.

As always....just my opinion.

Gary C. Daniels

http://school.lostworlds.org?gad=CPjfzOoBEgieuiFYPHFugxjIgoT_AyCy_rUL
Native American History Videos