Re: [Videolib] Warner Brothers Entertainment vs Institutions?

Gary Daniels (Gary@interruptProductions.com)
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:30:07 -0400

Chris,

Actually, your boat and shoreline are in an entirely different ocean. :)
I was referring mainly to the ocean called public libraries, not
university libraries. I should have been more clear.

I'm most concerned about educational opportunities available to kids
that will help them actually :get: to college. Once in college, I think
the public library has done its job for them.

But I do find the trend of such classes you mention quite disturbing.
Who do you think takes a class entitled "Italian Stereotypes In Film"?
People who already believe that there :are: Italian stereotypes in film!
It's not teaching anyone anything they don't already believe. Having
just come through the university system myself, I know most kids take
those classes cause they'll be watching mobster movies all semester!
It's an easy A. My experience has been the professor comes in, sets up
the movie with a few comments, puts in the DVD and then goes back to
their office to grade papers. Then they come back into the room and
spend 15 minutes on discussion. Class dismissed. How does this educate
anyone?

It's like offering a class that teaches the fact that super heroes can't
really fly or people who get shot in movies don't really die! Newsflash:
Hollywood movies are filled with stereotypes about every single group in
existence. So let's create a class where we spend a whole semester
watching the worst examples of such films??????? Or how about this one:
"Pornos Exploit Women"....now, let's have a whole semester where we
explore films to support our thesis!?!? (Bet that class would fill up
within minutes of being offered.)

I would say if a teacher wants to offer such a class they should have to
provide those DVDs themselves. As I stated in another post, nightclub
DJ's own all the music titles they play. It's part of their job
requirement. Why shouldn't it be part of a professor's job requirement
to own copies of the 10 or so $19.99 Hollywood DVD's they plan to show
in their class? And if students need to view some of them outside of
class, go to blockbuster. They'll have more copies anyway and the
library won't have to put the video on reserve and pay outrageous
licensing fees that ironically subsidize the very films that the
professor has determined were racist/sexist/exploitative, etc.

Libraries might as well start making donations to the KKK Media Fund. It
would make as much sense!

I'd prefer the library spend its money on classics from the great
Italian filmmakers which aren't readily available down at Blockbuster
and actually show Italians in a :positive: light. Imagine that, a
library filled with the :greatest: films ever made....not the worst.

:)

Gary C. Daniels
http://school.lostworlds.org?gad=CPjfzOoBEgieuiFYPHFugxjIgoT_AyCy_rUL
Native American History Videos