Re: [Videolib] Professional Organizations

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:34:24 -0400

--------------000104090507070106020703

Hi Cindy,

I attended NMM last year, and found it worthwhile. If funding weren't
an issue (big if, no?) I'd try to attend every year. It's a great way
to get a crash course on current content and meet with vendors.
Although there are a lot of vendors geared towards primary ed., there
were plenty of vendors servicing higher ed in a multitude of subject
areas to keep me more than busy. It's also good for networking. I was
a fairly new librarian when I attended (well, I still consider myself
'new', but at that point I was/ really /new) and it was good to be able
to talk other media librarians. And, I saved our media budget ca. $4K
in discounts for that FY through purchases made via vendors I'd been in
touch with there. I stayed at the Alexis Park Hotel, which is the
conference hotel. They were undergoing heavy duty renovations at that
time. I thought they were a bit pricy, but I believe there is a
'conference' discount.

I'd be happy to share my funding request / report if it would help
anyone in making the case to attend. Just email me off-list.

Happy Friday,

Meghann R. Matwichuk, M.S.
Assistant Librarian
Instructional Media Department