RE: [Videolib] Warner Brothers Entertainment vs Institutions?

Chris McNevins (Chris.McNevins@uconn.edu)
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:46:57 -0400

Gary,

You're missing the boat here (and the shoreline, for that matter....)

Our video collection is almost exclusively driven by faculty request to
support their curricula. More and more, courses are being built around
what Hollywood puts out. For example, the English Dept. is offering
"Fiction into Film" this fall. There was another course offered by the
Italian Language Dept. awhile back on Italian stereotypes in film and
media. Social Sciences rely on feature films and commercially produced
documentaries as well. How women, minorities and [insert your group
here] are represented in the media all hot topics. This is a trend
that's not going away anytime soon.

I cannot comment on current teaching methods that seem to support the
Hollywood machine. It's the "necessary evil" byproduct of having to
capture the attention of the post-TV generation.

I just order the stuff (and call it job security...)

Chris McN

Chris McNevins
Non-Print Coordinator
University of Connecticut