Re: [Videolib] Warner Brothers Entertainment vs Institutions?

Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:50:10 -0700

Hi Gary,

Whoa. I'm all for depth and breadth in video collections, but public
libraries are responsible to those same taxpayers you mention, and until the
day that John Q. makes PBS his number one viewing choice (roughly about the
time Hades experiences permafrost), libraries will continue to fulfill their
mission of providing for the information, education, and recreation needs of
their communities by collecting materials across as wide a spectrum as
possible--including Hollywood blockbusters. This argument has come up
before, and the simple answer has always been that libraries are not going
to stop collecting Stephen King or the Harry Potter series (and rightfully
so), nor should they skip "Batman Begins" (to use an upcoming Warner title).
Whether or not Warner respects us in the morning is irrelevant :)

Best,

Randy

Randy Pitman
Publisher/Editor
Video Librarian
8705 Honeycomb Ct. NW
Seabeck, WA 98380
Tel: (800) 692-2270; Fax: (360) 830-9346
Email: vidlib@videolibrarian.com
Web: www.videolibrarian.com