Re: [Videolib] Streaming and course management systems (CDigix)

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 12:40:13 -0400

Well I hate to sound like a broken record but this will be nearly impossible
with foreign & impendent feature films. Different rights holders, different
contracts etc. No one has the time or money to deal with this on a large
scale. Be grateful that a lot of this stuff is available on DVD and VHS
and don't going junking any of it

Jessica

> Jonathan
>
> You are absolutely right.... The publishers are setting the ground rules for
> digital access.
>
> But I think that was part of the point that Rick was making.... That the
> owners of the content need to start addressing the digital access issues, or
> they will be out of the ballgame (that's a nod to Jessica, Dennis, and the
> Cubs)
>
> It does not make sense for individual libraries to digitize collections one
> title at a time....if vendors can provide the file. Any more than it would
> make sense for individual libraries to digitize back runs of academic
> journals.
>
> BUT that said.... SOME libraries are starting to digitize their own
> backfiles, especially fiche collections. So this game is still evolving on
> the print side.
>
> For another example of publisher digitization, look at the Thomson Gale
> Virtual Reference Collection...
>
> --
> deg farrelly, Associate Librarian
> Arizona State University at the West Campus
> PO Box 37100
> Phoenix, Arizona 85069-7100
> Phone: 602.543.8522
> Email: deg.farrelly@asu.edu
>

>> From: Jonathan Miller <jmiller@frif.com>
>> Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:35:10 -0400
>> To: "videolib@library.berkeley.edu" <videolib@library.berkeley.edu>
>> Subject: Fwd: Re: [Videolib] Streaming and course management systems (CDigix)
>>
>> deg - i may have misunderstood rick. I understood this (I used to subscribe
>> to the library licensing list serv out of yale, i forgot the name?) what i
>> meant was it was controlled and not done without the licensors (publishers)
>> consent. (not only consent, but largely they set the ground rules). in fact
>> i have long held the idea in the back of my head that our (distributors')
>> future lay with reed elsevier! (now i've said it) bet you all don't like
>> that idea, now do you?
>> Jonathan

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner