Re: [Videolib] Warner Brothers Entertainment vs Institutions?

MileFilms@aol.com
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:18:23 EDT

--part1_129.63c76f9d.303e21ff_boundary

In a message dated 8/24/05 9:37:19 AM, jeanne.little@uni.edu writes:

> I had a conversation with a representative from HBO and was told that
> ALL of their titles are for HOME USE ONLY, and are not to be used in
> face-to-face instruction, over a network, or digitally reproduced. No
> public performance rights were available. This leaves me thinking the
> titles we own which were produced and/or owned by HBO can only be
> checked out by students for their personal use. Has anyone else had
> dealings with HBO with different results than these?

Sorry, but face-to-face instruction is a right under the copyright law, not a
condition the seller can unilaterally impose, unless there's a specific
contract between you two. I can't sell you a baseball and then tell you that it
can't be thrown. (Though at a window, of course, would be illegal just like
copying a video!)

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640 USA
Phone: (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035
Email: milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_129.63c76f9d.303e21ff_boundary

I had a conversation=20= with a representative from HBO and was told that
ALL of their titles are for HOME USE ONLY, and are not to be used in
face-to-face instruction, over a network, or digitally reproduced. No
public performance rights were available. This leaves me thinking the
titles we own which were produced and/or owned by HBO can only be
checked out by students for their personal use. Has anyone else had
dealings with HBO with different results than these?

Sorry, but face-to-face instruction is a right under the copyright law, n= ot a condition the seller can unilaterally impose, unless there's a specific= contract between you two. I can't sell you a baseball and then tell you tha= t it can't be thrown. (Though at a window, of course, would be illegal just=20= like copying a video!)