Re: [Videolib] Cheap prints?

Gary Daniels (Gary@interruptProductions.com)
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:45:07 -0400

I would say if you're a university library with a film studies program,
of course, purchase Citizen Kane. It serves an educational purpose. As a
film student, I was required to watch this film.

Although I would say if funds were tight, why not have the teacher rent
it from NetFlix and use the "Classroom Exemption" of copyright law to
show it in the classroom and save your limited acquisition funds for
those things not readily available elsewhere. Or the teacher could
require the student to purchase it....heaven knows my professors had no
problem requiring me to buy three $90 textbooks that weren't even used
during the semester. I would have much preferred using those funds for
classic DVDs. Or, heaven forbid, require the professor to have their own
copy. Music DJ's have to have their own copies of every piece of music
they play in a nightclub and they aren't making $50,000 a year. So I
don't think requiring a film studies professor to own a personal copy of
a film classic is a major financial burden. In fact, it should be a
requirement of employment just like owning their own music collection is
for DJ's.

My point is this: if acquisition funds are limited (aren't they always?)
then focus on those things not readily available or affordable
elsewhere. Why compete with Blockbuster, NetFlix, and Amazon.com?

If you're a public library who serves a large immigrant community and
you have the choice between 3 new Disney films dubbed in Spanish or a
more expensive "Learning English As a Second Language" educational DVD
series, acquire the Language series REGARDLESS of whether the Disney
films may circulate better. Is your mission to entertain or educate?
Giving a few people an opportunity to better their situation is more
important than letting a lot of people see a spanish version of Bambi.
If someone REALLY wants to see Bambi they can spend $4 to rent it. But
where else besides a library could they :ever: expect to access an
educational video series for learning English?

I'm someone who greatly benefited from educational material provided by
public schools & libraries. Even in my dirt poor farming community there
was a little video rental store in the nearby town. So it wouldn't make
any sense for the Bookmobile that served our community to be full of
Disney flicks. I could rent those any time I wanted.

Luckily my Bookmobile and public library gave me access to educational
books that I otherwise would not be able to access. Thank God for PBS
and public libraries, otherwise I'd be baling hay today instead of
having a Master's degree in film and making educational videos!

----

Gary Daniels
http://school.lostworlds.org?gad=CPjfzOoBEgieuiFYPHFugxjIgoT_AyCy_rUL
Native American History Videos