RE: [Videolib] Streaming and course management systems (CDigix)

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:11:37 -0500

Gary, this is something that public libraries struggle with all the time
- are you a popular materials center, education/information center,
research center? A lot of this depends on what your board and
administration see as the library's mission. We have always walked a
line between having the top award winning films, popular titles and
classic films. I have fellow staff members who wonder why I purchase
foreign films and silent movies. I think it is really all about
balance. You put out the popular titles in order to get the folks in to
the library. Then, my job is to let them know what else we have. We do
this all the time with books. No the Nancy Drew books are all out.
Have you tried any of the Lois Lowry titles. Or, the next Harry Potter
book isn't out for another couple of years. Here are some other fantasy
titles you might like. The same thing works for film. A couple of
weeks ago, I had a 12 year old girl asking about Judy Garland movies. I
was thrilled. I showed her what we had, recommended a couple of titles,
and she took them home. When I saw her again the next week, I asked her
about them. She had really enjoyed them. And because of that, she might
try something else that is old and in black and white! With books, this
is called Reader's Advisory. I don't know that I've ever seen a similar
term for film - Viewer's Advisory, maybe? I know other folks on the list
will have other ideas and issues. :)

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library