Re: [Videolib] Streaming and course management systems (CDigix)

Rick Faaberg (rfaaberg@comcast.net)
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:13:44 -0700

On 8/22/05 8:41 AM "Jessica Rosner" <jrosner@kino.com> sent this out:

> The technology may be there but I don't think the rights issues will
> ever catch up.

The rights issues will be sorted out relatively immediately once consumers
require/prefer on-demand streaming delivery.

For example, that's how VHS came to replace 16mm film in K-12 education.
Once consumers started buying VHS players in vast quantities, the prices
came down and the schools could afford the players. Bzzzzzt! No more 16mm
purchases!

Once consumers expect streaming delivery and it's affordable, bzzzzt! no
more physical media!

Those producers/distributors who don't work out rights issues will no longer
be distributing their materials once the transition from physical to virtual
media fully unfolds.

Imho,

Rick Faaberg

Ps. I'm walking the talk - I watch on-demand via Comcast cable vs. going to
Blockbuster to rent the same title.