Re: [Videolib] Streaming and course management systems (CDigix)

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:26:34 -0400

Hi all,

Didn't mean to open up this age-old can of worms on everyone again... I
fully realize that this will concern many legal issues and would require
licensing in some form or another. My question pertained to the
procedures libraries may be using (taking into account, and not trying
to circumnavigate licensing concerns).

The licensing concerns will be a point of education for some others
outside the realm of my department, however (and I feel fairly
well-armed to tackle that given the informative discussions that have
taken place on this list in the past). I definitely agree with Jessica
on the rights issues catching up with the technology. This causes some
pretty severe disconnents for people who do not understand the content /
legal side of things. Recently, we had a situation where some
non-library professionals walked through our stacks area and were amazed
that we still had a physical collection of vhs's and dvd's ("Don't they
just put all that on servers now??"). I felt like handing them a Disney
film and telling him to see if he could get the licensing clearance
sometime in his lifetime...

Best,

Meghann R. Matwichuk, M.S.
Assistant Librarian