Re: [Videolib] Streaming and course management systems (CDigix)

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:04:02 -0400

Hello All,

The procedures that I listed below pertain to a pilot project; I
neglected to mention that bit of key information. Apologies for the
confusion. I was asked to investigate to see if others had any
knowledge of / experience with this company and their streaming
services, however I'm wondering if the one institution we'd been in
touch with is the only institution involved in this project. I don't
have any information beyond what is listed in the previous email, and
was most interested in two things:

* If anyone else has any knowledge of / experience with CDigix and their
new streaming services (in development?). Looking like the collective
answer to this might be 'no'.

* If this list of procedures as related to us mirrors what other
academic libraries are doing regarding content streaming.

Thanks again,

******************************
Meghann R. Matwichuk, M.S.
Assistant Librarian
Instructional Media Department
Morris Library, University of Delaware
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717
(302) 831-1475

Gary Handman wrote:

> [...]
>> anyone have any specific knowledge about this product? One library
>> we've talked with described the procedure they use when working with
>> this provider as follows:
>>
>> 1. Requests for providing media content online via CDigix go through
>> IT. IT coordinates the service with CDigix, including troubleshooting
>> and systems questions.
>>
>> 2. Faculty complete form on IT page and check box related to
>> educational use of the media. Library is not involved in researching
>> or obtaining copyright permissions to reformat or digitize media in
>> Library collection. The transaction is between the faculty member and
>> CDigix.
>>
>> 3. Library receives request for physical copy (VHS or DVD) from IT.
>> Copy must be a legal copy in Library collection.
>>
>> 4. Media is sent to IT for digitization.
>>
>> 5. At semester end, digital media files are scrubbed by IT.
>>
>> 6. Library continues to research, collect, catalog, house, and
>> maintain video for instructional use by faculty and students.
>>
>> Does this sound like the typical procedure used by other institutions
>> / academic libraries using streaming and course management systems?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any input,
>>
>> ******************************
>> Meghann R. Matwichuk, M.S.
>> Assistant Librarian
>> Instructional Media Department
>> Morris Library, University of Delaware
>> 181 S. College Ave.
>> Newark, DE 19717
>> (302) 831-1475
>>
>> Patricia McVay-Gorrell wrote:
>>
>>> Good morning,
>>> Our campus is investigating course management systems and the
>>> question that I'm presented with is "What steps need to be taken to
>>> stream educational and theatrical films to the 'chosen' system for
>>> specific class assignments?" The IT folks plan to have a dedicated
>>> server and they assured us that class assignments will be password
>>> protected.
>>> At this point, some of my questions are: would they be using clips
>>> vs. entire films; the issue of changing formats within copyright;
>>> how secure is the server and the course management system; are there
>>> 'guest' privileges for non-registered students; are the students
>>> permitted to download the film; server space issues--at least half
>>> of our course reserves are theatrical releases; how secure are the
>>> passwords and the people entrusted with them (smile); the estimated
>>> cost to the Libraries for each title; estimated turnaround time for
>>> the vendor's permission once a faculty member decides what films to
>>> use; turnaround time for changing the format; increase in our staff
>>> time, etc.
>>> Has anyone offered this service to their faculty yet? Or studied the
>>> issue and would you be willing to share your results? Please reply
>>> directly to <pmcvay@wooster.edu> unless others express an interest.
>>>
>>> Many thanks on this gorgeous Saturday morning in Ohio!

>>> 330-263-2253 (fax)