Re: [Videolib] Streaming and course management systems (CDigix)

Meghann Matwichuk (
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:04:02 -0400

Hello All,

The procedures that I listed below pertain to a pilot project; I
neglected to mention that bit of key information. Apologies for the
confusion. I was asked to investigate to see if others had any
knowledge of / experience with this company and their streaming
services, however I'm wondering if the one institution we'd been in
touch with is the only institution involved in this project. I don't
have any information beyond what is listed in the previous email, and
was most interested in two things:

* If anyone else has any knowledge of / experience with CDigix and their
new streaming services (in development?). Looking like the collective
answer to this might be 'no'.

* If this list of procedures as related to us mirrors what other
academic libraries are doing regarding content streaming.

Thanks again,

Meghann R. Matwichuk, M.S.
Assistant Librarian
Instructional Media Department
Morris Library, University of Delaware
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717
(302) 831-1475

Gary Handman wrote:

> [...]
>> about is called CDigix -- does
>> anyone have any specific knowledge about this product? One library
>> we've talked with described the procedure they use when working with
>> this provider as follows:
>> 1. Requests for providing media content online via CDigix go through
>> IT. IT coordinates the service with CDigix, including troubleshooting
>> and systems questions.
>> 2. Faculty complete form on IT page and check box related to
>> educational use of the media. Library is not involved in researching
>> or obtaining copyright permissions to reformat or digitize media in
>> Library collection. The transaction is between the faculty member and
>> CDigix.
>> 3. Library receives request for physical copy (VHS or DVD) from IT.
>> Copy must be a legal copy in Library collection.
>> 4. Media is sent to IT for digitization.
>> 5. At semester end, digital media files are scrubbed by IT.
>> 6. Library continues to research, collect, catalog, house, and
>> maintain video for instructional use by faculty and students.
>> Does this sound like the typical procedure used by other institutions
>> / academic libraries using streaming and course management systems?
>> Thanks in advance for any input,
>> ******************************
>> Meghann R. Matwichuk, M.S.
>> Assistant Librarian
>> Instructional Media Department
>> Morris Library, University of Delaware
>> 181 S. College Ave.
>> Newark, DE 19717
>> (302) 831-1475
>> Patricia McVay-Gorrell wrote:
>>> Good morning,
>>> Our campus is investigating course management systems and the
>>> question that I'm presented with is "What steps need to be taken to
>>> stream educational and theatrical films to the 'chosen' system for
>>> specific class assignments?" The IT folks plan to have a dedicated
>>> server and they assured us that class assignments will be password
>>> protected.
>>> At this point, some of my questions are: would they be using clips
>>> vs. entire films; the issue of changing formats within copyright;
>>> how secure is the server and the course management system; are there
>>> 'guest' privileges for non-registered students; are the students
>>> permitted to download the film; server space issues--at least half
>>> of our course reserves are theatrical releases; how secure are the
>>> passwords and the people entrusted with them (smile); the estimated
>>> cost to the Libraries for each title; estimated turnaround time for
>>> the vendor's permission once a faculty member decides what films to
>>> use; turnaround time for changing the format; increase in our staff
>>> time, etc.
>>> Has anyone offered this service to their faculty yet? Or studied the
>>> issue and would you be willing to share your results? Please reply
>>> directly to <> unless others express an interest.
>>> Many thanks on this gorgeous Saturday morning in Ohio!
>>> 330-263-2253 (fax)
>>> (e-mail)