Re: [Videolib] Streaming and course management systems (CDigix)

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:41:38 -0400

As I have mentioned before digitizing feature stuff is going to present the
same issues as trying to get PPR rights in fact more. I doubt some of our
contracts even cover this so for instance if you wanted permission to
digitize l'AGE D'OR you would have to deal with someone in France and GOOD
LUCK. The technology may be there but I don't think the rights issues will
ever catch up.

Jessica

> [...]
>> is called CDigix http://www.cdigix.com/website/cdigix/ -- does anyone have
>> any specific knowledge about this product? One library we've talked with
>> described the procedure they use when working with this provider as follows:
>>
>> 1. Requests for providing media content online via CDigix go through IT.
>> IT coordinates the service with CDigix, including troubleshooting and
>> systems questions.
>>
>> 2. Faculty complete form on IT page and check box related to educational
>> use of the media. Library is not involved in researching or obtaining
>> copyright permissions to reformat or digitize media in Library collection.
>> The transaction is between the faculty member and CDigix.
>>
>> 3. Library receives request for physical copy (VHS or DVD) from IT. Copy
>> must be a legal copy in Library collection.
>>
>> 4. Media is sent to IT for digitization.
>>
>> 5. At semester end, digital media files are scrubbed by IT.
>>
>> 6. Library continues to research, collect, catalog, house, and maintain
>> video for instructional use by faculty and students.
>>
>> Does this sound like the typical procedure used by other institutions /
>> academic libraries using streaming and course management systems?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any input,
>>
>> ******************************
>> Meghann R. Matwichuk, M.S.
>> Assistant Librarian
>> Instructional Media Department
>> Morris Library, University of Delaware
>> 181 S. College Ave.
>> Newark, DE 19717
>> (302) 831-1475
>>
>> Patricia McVay-Gorrell wrote:
>>
>>> Good morning,
>>> Our campus is investigating course management systems and the question
>>> that I'm presented with is "What steps need to be taken to stream
>>> educational and theatrical films to the 'chosen' system for specific
>>> class assignments?" The IT folks plan to have a dedicated server and they
>>> assured us that class assignments will be password protected.
>>> At this point, some of my questions are: would they be using clips vs.
>>> entire films; the issue of changing formats within copyright; how secure
>>> is the server and the course management system; are there 'guest'
>>> privileges for non-registered students; are the students permitted to
>>> download the film; server space issues--at least half of our course
>>> reserves are theatrical releases; how secure are the passwords and the
>>> people entrusted with them (smile); the estimated cost to the Libraries
>>> for each title; estimated turnaround time for the vendor's permission
>>> once a faculty member decides what films to use; turnaround time for
>>> changing the format; increase in our staff time, etc.
>>> Has anyone offered this service to their faculty yet? Or studied the
>>> issue and would you be willing to share your results? Please reply
>>> directly to <pmcvay@wooster.edu> unless others express an interest.
>>>
>>> Many thanks on this gorgeous Saturday morning in Ohio!

>>> 330-263-2253 (fax)
>>> pmcvay@wooster.edu (e-mail)

> Gary Handman
> Director
> Media Resources Center
> Moffitt Library
> UC Berkeley
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>
> ****
>
> "Movies are poems, a holy bible, the great mother of us."
> --Ted Berrigan

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE

Jessica Rosner
Kino International