RE: [Videolib] Streaming and course management systems (CDigix)

Badilla-Melendez, Cindy (CBADILLAME@stthomas.edu)
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:22:23 -0500

Has anybody using FMG on demand? I read started looking into it. That maybe
an online possibility
http://www.films.com/Home.aspx?BrandType=F

thanks
cindy

Cindy Badilla-Melendez
Media Resources Librarian
O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library,
University of St. Thomas
phone (651) 962-5464
fax (651) 962-5406

-----Original Message-----
From: Meghann Matwichuk [mailto:mtwchk@udel.edu]
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 8:59 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Streaming and course management systems (CDigix)

Hello Patti (et. al.),

Thanks for raising this topic on Video-lib -- I have just been charged
with investigating this topic as well! Please, group, reply to the list
if possible.

The digital content service that I have been asked to find out more
about is called CDigix http://www.cdigix.com/website/cdigix/ -- does
anyone have any specific knowledge about this product? One library
we've talked with described the procedure they use when working with
this provider as follows:

1. Requests for providing media content online via CDigix go through IT.
IT coordinates the service with CDigix, including troubleshooting and
systems questions.

2. Faculty complete form on IT page and check box related to educational
use of the media. Library is not involved in researching or obtaining
copyright permissions to reformat or digitize media in Library
collection. The transaction is between the faculty member and CDigix.

3. Library receives request for physical copy (VHS or DVD) from IT. Copy
must be a legal copy in Library collection.

4. Media is sent to IT for digitization.

5. At semester end, digital media files are scrubbed by IT.

6. Library continues to research, collect, catalog, house, and maintain
video for instructional use by faculty and students.

Does this sound like the typical procedure used by other institutions /
academic libraries using streaming and course management systems?

Thanks in advance for any input,

******************************
Meghann R. Matwichuk, M.S.
Assistant Librarian
Instructional Media Department
Morris Library, University of Delaware
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717
(302) 831-1475

Patricia McVay-Gorrell wrote:

>Good morning,
>
>Our campus is investigating course management systems and the question that
I'm presented with is "What steps need to be taken to stream educational and
theatrical films to the 'chosen' system for specific class assignments?" The
IT folks plan to have a dedicated server and they assured us that class
assignments will be password protected.

>At this point, some of my questions are: would they be using clips vs.
entire films; the issue of changing formats within copyright; how secure is
the server and the course management system; are there 'guest' privileges
for non-registered students; are the students permitted to download the
film; server space issues--at least half of our course reserves are
theatrical releases; how secure are the passwords and the people entrusted
with them (smile); the estimated cost to the Libraries for each title;
estimated turnaround time for the vendor's permission once a faculty member
decides what films to use; turnaround time for changing the format; increase
in our staff time, etc.

>Has anyone offered this service to their faculty yet? Or studied the issue
and would you be willing to share your results? Please reply directly to
<pmcvay@wooster.edu> unless others express an interest.