RE: [Videolib] Streaming and course management systems

Badilla-Melendez, Cindy (CBADILLAME@stthomas.edu)
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 07:21:18 -0500

We have started a similar project. This is what I found:

Each video is different. For example Films for the Humanities charges about
$250 for the right to digitize. There are details such as one user, multiple
users, 1 campus, multiple campuses. PBS charges about $400 per title. Media
Education Foundation charges $200 per title.
Other vendors or copyright holders charges different prices. It is not
simple. There are many titles you won't be able to have online due to
copyright restrictions, there are several copyright holders that don't want
to sale their rights to digitize.
And off course everything has to be password protected. It is a great
service if you have the money and the bandwidth, it requires a lot of
storage space in your server.

My advice, is start per title do a pilot project of few titles and see how
it works.

OHIO link has several titles online
Good luck

Cindy Badilla-Melendez