Re: [Videolib] Two Titles / Chris Marker & Memory

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:32:46 -0400

--------------040903010006030600010202

A bit of a late reply, as I've been away... Unfortunately I have
nothing to add regarding the two titles you mentioned, but as far as the
topic of film and memory goes, has your professor included any of Chris
Marker's films on his syllabus? His works are very different from the
features that you've mentioned (his films are more essay than narrative,
and can be pretty dense), but I had a fascinating time writing about his
film /Sans Soleil/ and how he explores history / memory / dreams / etc.
when I was an undergrad. A google search on "Chris Marker" and memory
will bring up many essays about his films. His interactive cd-rom,
/Immemory/, may be of interest as well.

Best,

******************************
Meghann R. Matwichuk, M.S.
Assistant Librarian, Instructional Media Department
Morris Library, University of Delaware
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717
(302) 831-1475

Eileen Karsten wrote:

I have a request for the following two films from a professor.  Does anyone know if either will be released on DVD anytime soon?
Mirage (1965) starring Gregory Peck and Diane Baker.
[I can find a used VHS tape on-line.]

Shadow on the Wall (1950) starring Ann Sothern and Zachary Scott.
[As far as I can tell, this has never been released for sale.]

Side note: He wants these films because he is doing a class dealing with memory.  We have already purchased The Majestic, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, et al. for him.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,

Eileen Karsten
Head of Technical Services