Re: RE: [Videolib] No cover art/plain packaging on videos & DVDs

John Streepy (John.Streepy@cwu.EDU)
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:44:35 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_KUK4yj0NjVCS0GVMrjI2DA)

Hi,
The steps should be find, pause, print screen, paste, and it sounds like
you hit them all. There may be a bit of software in the computers dvd
player that prevents you form doing this, DCMA and all. It may also be
a setting problem. I know on my Mac, I had to get a special utility
called DVD Capture (freeware) to do this as the built in Grab utility
(same as print screen) would not work. You may need this sort of
program for the PC.
jhs

>>>pashuf@charter.net 08/12/05 10:48 am >>>
I had already tried using the Print Screen to copy and paste an image
from the DVD into WORD. Following your suggestion, I pasted it into a
photo enhancement program and saved it as a .jpg image. Unfortunately,
what seems to be captured in by both programs is a MOVING image. When
the DVD starts running again, the photo changes; and when the DVD is
stopped, the image in the .jpg file goes blank.

Have I missed a step somewhere?

Pat Shufeldt

>From: John Streepy <John.Streepy@cwu.EDU>
>Date: 2005/08/12 Fri AM 11:18:32 EDT
>To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
>Subject: Re: RE: [Videolib] No cover art/plain packaging on videos
&DVDs

>Hi
>I would not deal with the files on the disc, odds are they can not be
>accesed without a fair amount of hacking. Instead, I would play the
DVD
>on your computer as large as possible (full screen is best), pause at a
>suitable image, and then hit the print screen button. (These
>instructions are for PCs, Macs need a utility such as DVD Grab to work)
>Paste the file into a image manipulation program and crop the image
down
>to size, save as a jpeg or other suitablee file format. Much easier,
>and you can use the video's opening graphics for a title shot on your
>insert and make various shots.
>Hope that helps.
>jhs
>

>John H. Streepy
>Media Assistant III
>Library-Media Circulation
>James E. Brooks Library
>Central Washington University
>400 East University Way
>Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548
>
>(509) 963-2861
>http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media

>This is slightly off-topic, but I hope someone on the list may be able
>to help me.
>
>Since videos in church libraries and denominational resource centers
>don't circulate any better without cover art than they do in public
>libraries, I create case inserts when necessary using graphics obtained
>from the organizations' website.
>
>I've recently received a DVD with no available graphic to pull for the
>cover unless I can grab a shot from the DVD itself and change it to a
>still shot. The files are in a .VOB format.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Pat Shufeldt
>Westminster Presbyterian Church Library
>&Foothills Presbytery Resource Center
>Greenville, SC
>
>Videolib mailing list
>Videolib@library.berkeley.edu

--Boundary_(ID_KUK4yj0NjVCS0GVMrjI2DA)

=0D=0A =0D=0A =0D=0A =0D=0A =0D=0A <= body style=3D"margin-top: 4px; margin-bottom: 1px; margin-left: 4px; = margin-right: 4px">=0D=0A

Hi,=0D=0A
=0D= =0A
The steps should be find, pause, print screen,= ; paste, and it sounds like you hit them all.  There may be = a bit of software in the computers dvd player that prevents you form = doing this, DCMA and all.  It may also be a setting problem.=  I know on my Mac, I had to get a special utility called DV= D Capture (freeware) to do this as the built in Grab utility = (same as print screen) would not work.  You may need thi= s sort of program for the PC.  =0D=0A
=0D=0A
jh= s

>>>pashuf@charter.net 08/12/05 10:48 am >>>= ;
I had already tried using the Print Screen to copy and paste an = image from the DVD into WORD.  Following your suggestion= 4; I pasted it into a photo enhancement program and saved it as a .jp= g image.  Unfortunately, what seems to be captured in b= y both programs is a MOVING image.  When the DVD starts run= ning again, the photo changes; and when the DVD is stopped= 4; the image in the .jpg file goes blank.

Have I missed a step= somewhere?

Pat Shufeldt

>From: John S= treepy <John.Streepy@cwu.EDU>
>Date: 2005/08/12 Fri AM 11= :18:32 EDT
>To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
>Subject: R= e: RE: [Videolib] No cover art/plain packaging on videos &= ;DVDs
>
>Hi
>I would not deal with the files on the= disc, odds are they can not be
>accesed without a fair amo= unt of hacking.  Instead, I would play the DVD
>o= n your computer as large as possible (full screen is best)= 4; pause at a
>suitable image, and then hit the print scree= n button.  (These
>instructions are for PCs, = Macs need a utility such as DVD Grab to work)
>Paste the fi= le into a image manipulation program and crop the image down
>t= o size, save as a jpeg or other suitablee file format.  = ;Much easier,
>and you can use the video's opening grap= hics for a title shot on your
>insert and make various shots.>Hope that helps.
>jhs
>

>John H. Stre= epy
>Media Assistant III
>Library-Media Circulation
&g= t;James E. Brooks Library
>Central Washington University
>= ;400 East University Way
>Ellensburg, WA 98926-7548
>=
>(509) 963-2861
>http://www.lib.cwu.edu/media>
>This is slightly off-topic, but I hope someone on the= list may be able
>to help me.
>
>Since videos in c= hurch libraries and denominational resource centers
>don't = circulate any better without cover art than they do in public
>= libraries, I create case inserts when necessary using graphics ob= tained
>from the organizations' website.
>
>I&#= 39;ve recently received a DVD with no available graphic to pull for t= he
>cover unless I can grab a shot from the DVD itself and chan= ge it to a
>still shot.  The files are in a .VOB form= at.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Pat Shufeldt>Westminster Presbyterian Church Library
>&Foothills P= resbytery Resource Center
>Greenville, SC
>
>Vi= deolib mailing list
>Videolib@library.berkeley.edu