Re: [Videolib] terminology question--

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:33:59 -0400

--=====================_24960625==.ALT

The 2 categories of moving image materials are: film and video.

Films are referred to according to their gauges such as 16mm and 35mm
(there's also 8mm (not to be confused with the 8mm videotape) and Super
8mm, Super 16mm, and even more obsolete gauges such as 9.5mm and 28mm etc.)

Video is divided into analog and digital. At the end of Jim Wheeler's
videotape Preservation Handbook
http://amianet.org/publication/resources/guidelines/WheelerVideo.pdf is a
list of analog and digital video format categories. It's a tad out of date
but it will give you an idea.

My answer to your question is that a DVD is a digital video medium while a
VHS tape is an analog video medium.

Oksana

At 03:48 PM 8/3/2005, you wrote:
>This may seem like a weird question. Lately I have had to write a lot of
>reports, and I seem to be having a problem with terminology.
>
>When you refer to a group of movies in both DVD and videotape formats,
>what do you call them? Videos?
>
>When you are really talking about videotapes and NOT DVDs do you call them
>videos?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Sarah Andrews
>Monographic Orders, Claims, and Acquisitions Public Services Supervior
>Acquisitions Department
>University of Iowa Libraries
>Iowa City, IA 52242-1420

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-2424 ext.3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3437
Faculty of Fine Arts
Concordia University
H-335, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec