Re: [Videolib] Arabic/Egyptian films, & impact of censorship

Pat Shufeldt (pashuf@charter.net)
Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:23:54 -0400

As I recall, it was Polish film director Krzysztof Kieslowski who commented that
it was actually easier to make good films under the Communist censors than to do
so in a capitalist setting. Under Communist rule, the government provided
monetary support for filmmaking, so one was freed from the burden of constantly
raising funds to make films. That allowed a director to concentrate on the art
of filmmaking, and encouraged directors to find creative methods of telling
stories in ways to get them past the censors.

In an interview for the Criterion DVD release of TASTE OF CHERRY, Iranian film
director Abbas Kiarostami commented: "I can say that for me censorship did not
affect my work before or after the revolution. . . To me what they refer to now
as censorship in Iran should mostly be considered religious restrictions.
Censorship normally happens when there are no set rules. Some people may decide
to eliminate scenes from movies. . . Generally speaking, I can't say that we
don't censor ourselves. But I can say that we find out about the rules pretty
quickly, and then we are able to adjust ourselves to the circumstances and make
our films. I've really made the movies that I've wanted to make up to now. I
haven't made any of them simply because I wanted to circumvent the codes, and
turn a banal story into a movie. . .

"The problem of censorship has always existed. Especially when I'm outside of
Iran, usually the first or second question asked has to do with censorship. In
the West, when I'm asked about censorship in Iran, I get offended. They think we
are some Third World country with some sort of incredible censorship and we work
under terrible conditions. But when I think about it, I realize that we've
always had to face the problem of censorship not just as filmmakers, but even as
citizens of Iran. We've always had censorship. It starts in our families when
we can't speak our minds. Because our parents decide what's right and wrong for
us. In the schools, there is even harsher discipline - all sorts of educational
censorship. And that continues until it finds its place in our professions -
the filmmaker's profession, for example. So in my mind, censorship is not
something that bothers us terribly, because we found our ways to counter it.

"In fact, the whole nation has learned how to deal with it, have learned how to
circumvent any imposing force and somehow manage. This is a reality.
Especially in our case, our cinema is a director's medium. And the more a
filmmaker comes under pressure due to the nature of his work, the more he is
forced to come up with better solutions and find new means of expression. . .

"I never speak about censorship outside of Iran, especially for foreign
reporters. Often I ask them: don't you have your own censorship? The
government censors but also provides financial assistance. Because of the
positive outlook that I have had in recent years in my personal and professional
life, I tend to say that I for one don't have much of a problem with
censorship. Not that I endorse it, but I simply say to the censors, you do your
job and we'll do ours. In the final analysis, it's our work that survives."

Pat Shufeldt
Greenville, SC
pashuf@charter.net