RE: [Videolib] Arabic/Egyptian films-

Milos Stehlik (mstehlik@comcast.net)
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 20:04:08 -0500

I would like to echo Alex's statements. Censorship or no censorship, by far
the best representations of Middle East and North Africa come from the
filmmakers of those countries. Yes, Youssef Chahine has battled with
Egyptian censorship (as Gary Daniels points out in his paper) all of his
life and most recently with The Emigrant -- nevertheless, one of the very
best films about fundamentalism is his film THE DESTINY - equally applicable
to fundamentalism in any form.

These are often brave films made by courageous filmmakers battling against
great odds and should be supported by us always. Try Merzak ALlouache's
Bab-el-Oued City or the work of so many Middle Eastern and North African
women filmmakers - Tahmineh Milani, Moufida Tlatli, Rakshan Bani-Etemad.

One might even argue that the censorship restrictions and the difficulty of
getting their films approved (but censorship is everywhere, including here
in the USA, with economic censorship as potent as political) has led to the
development of bold new ways of storytelling and film language, helping us
see with new eyes.

Milos Stehlik
Facets Multi-Media, Inc.
1517 West Fullerton Avenue