Re: [Videolib] Arabic/Egyptian films-

Gary Daniels (Gary@interruptProductions.com)
Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:26:14 -0400

As a filmmaker, I would like to point out the fact that all films shot
in the Middle East (and all Muslim countries, in fact) are subject to
heavy censorship and government approval. All scripts pass through a
government censor and government officials travel with the film crew and
monitor everything they do. The final edited video must also pass
through the government censors. Thus, if you show films from this
region, you should always remind your students that they are not
watching a completely truthful representation. They are only seeing what
the government of the country represented wants the world to see.

I wrote two research papers on this topic-- one covering censorship in
Egypt and another in Malaysia. You can read them at this link if you
want to know the reality of what you're showing your students:

http://www.GaryCDaniels.com/academic.html

-gary