RE: [Videolib] DVD - Widescreen vs. Full Screen

Benjamin Sprague (Sprague@riponlibrary.org)
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:09:27 -0500

The only time we purchase full-screen DVDs is when there is no
wide-screen format available. Personally, I have exchanged DVDs in the
past after realizing I mistakenly bought full-screen when wide-screen
was also available.

Benjamin D. Sprague
- Circulation Supervisor
- Technology Resources
Ripon Public Library
http://www.riponlibrary.org
mailto:sprague@riponlibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of
Julie.Spiegler@kanawha.lib.wv.us
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 4:04 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Cc: linda.miller@kanawha.lib.wv.us; Julie.Spiegler@kanawha.lib.wv.us
Subject: [Videolib] DVD - Widescreen vs. Full Screen

I would like some feedback from public librarians as to how they
purchase DVD's with Widescreen vs. Full Screen formats.   As a
librarian, I feel we should only purchase the Widescreen (Director's
cut) format, but our patrons seem to prefer the Fullscreen format.
Asone patron stated, he didn't buy a large screen tv to have only part
of
the screen filled with the movie!  When the differences of the two
formats were explained to him, he still wanted the Fullscreen format.
Hopefully, you all can help me answer this dilemma so I can write my
collection guidelines as to which format we will purchase when faced
with the choice of only selecting one copy!   Thanks - Julie

Julie Spiegler
Kanawha County Public Library
Audiovisual Department Head
123 Capitol Street