RE: [Videolib] DVD shelving

Benjamin Sprague (Sprague@riponlibrary.org)
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:17:43 -0500

Hi,

We currently store about 1,000 discs behind the circulation desk. We
use storage sleeve racks and, for a total cost of about $100 (or $.10
per disc), our entire DVD collection is secure (when we first started
our DVD collection several years ago, we lost over 10 discs in the first
week out of less than 100 total in the collection). All of the security
case options we researched were prohibitively expensive, adding several
dollars to each DVD title we would purchase.

Benjamin D. Sprague
- Circulation Supervisor
- Technology Resources
Ripon Public Library
http://www.riponlibrary.org
mailto:sprague@riponlibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Renee Zurn
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 4:14 PM
To: mthreatt@indiana.edu; videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] DVD shelving

Monique,
The Duluth Public Library has had DVDs for about 1 years. The first
year we had the discs behind the Circulation Desk and at checkout the
technician would go and find the discs and place them in the case. When
the item was returned, the technician doing check-in removed the discs,
filed them, and placed the empty case to be shelved. We keep as many as
possible in the original case. They were shelved on a small bookcase
next to the VHS.

As the collection grew, it started taking more and more space behind the
circulation counter. It was decided at the beginning of the summer to
place the discs in the case for most movies. We decided that DVDs were
no longer that much of a new item and so loses may be smaller but more
important, we wanted to eliminate as much extra work and as much
repetitive work for the circulation staff as possible. We also moved
the bookcase holding the DVDs to a spot under a security camera (that
doesn't work but looks like it might). All sets that are 3 discs or
more are still kept behind the desk with an empty dummy case on the
bookcase. The staff just needs to exchange the items. As we just
started this I am not sure how much has been stolen.

I will let you know my loses later this fall when I run an item list of
DVDs that have not circulated.

Renee Zurn
Duluth Public Library
Duluth MN

>>> mthreatt@indiana.edu 07/13/05 11:06 AM >>>
Hello,

Last year there was some discussion about DVD browsing bins.

I need your expert opinion. Can anyone suggest DVD bins that will allow
DVDs to be displayed in security cases, but are quiet to browse through
-- not like the bins found at most music or book stores where there is a
loud noise caused by flipping through the cases. This may be an
unrealistic request.

Also, I'd like to hear your comments on why you use, or don't use
security cases for DVDs in your browsing collection?

Feel free to contact me off-line with your comments/suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Monique
Monique Threatt
Media Librarian