Re: [Videolib] Fwd: following up Uncle Tom and his cabin

Deborah Benrubi (benrubi@usfca.edu)
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:52:05 -0700

--=====================_24792159==.ALT

hi Jerry

I do feel lucky. It is thrilling to share that kind of experience with a
big audience. It was the first time I'd seen Swanson, for some reason, and
now I'll have to rent Sunset Blvd.

Rosa Rio! Is she really 92? What a kick!

Debbie

At 04:46 PM 7/14/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Lucky you. We have the Tampa Theater here that occasionally shows silents
>with Rosa Rio (92 years old) playing the organ. Last summer they showed a
>restored print of Sunset Blvd. on a Sunday afternoon. I went and was
>worried that too few people would show for a movie that has been on
>television and on video for years. After parking the car and walking
>toward the theater I saw hundreds of people lined up. It was a thrilling sight.
>
>Jerry
>
>It's outside the dates on the current webpage, but Stage Struck (1925)
>starring Gloria Swanson had a scene on a showboat where Uncle Tom's Cabin
>was going to be performed. The play iself is not shown, but there is a
>shot of the actors all in blackface waiting to go on, and the m.c.
>introduces them as the finest cast in the world or some such. (All is
>fictional; I hope I've explained it adequately.)
>
>I saw Stage Struck last weekend at the glorious San Francisco Silent Film
>Festival. The print was from George Eastman House.
><http://www.silentfilm.org/2005festival/stagestruck/schedule.htm>http://www.silentfilm.org/2005festival/stagestruck/schedule.htm

Deborah Benrubi
Technical Services Librarian
University of San Francisco
Gleeson Library|Geschke Center
2130 Fulton St.
San Francisco, CA 94117

PHONE (415) 422-5672 / FAX (415) 422-2233 or 422-5062
EMAIL <benrubi@usfca.edu>