Re: [Videolib] Fwd: following up Uncle Tom and his cabin

Deborah Benrubi (benrubi@usfca.edu)
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:35:22 -0700

--=====================_17061192==.ALT

It's outside the dates on the current webpage, but Stage Struck (1925)
starring Gloria Swanson had a scene on a showboat where Uncle Tom's Cabin
was going to be performed. The play iself is not shown, but there is a shot
of the actors all in blackface waiting to go on, and the m.c. introduces
them as the finest cast in the world or some such. (All is fictional; I
hope I've explained it adequately.)

I saw Stage Struck last weekend at the glorious San Francisco Silent Film
Festival. The print was from George Eastman House.
http://www.silentfilm.org/2005festival/stagestruck/schedule.htm

>Begin forwarded message:
>
>>From: Stephen Railton <sfr@cms.mail.virginia.edu>
>>Date: July 14, 2005 2:15:58 PM EDT
>>To: Erika Day <eld2n@virginia.edu>
>>Subject: following up Uncle Tom and his cabin
>>
>>Hi, Erika --
>>First, thanks for sending out that request. If it's not too much to ask,
>>though, could you send it again, worded a bit differently. I'm looking
>>for any references to/use of scenes or characters from Uncle Tom's Cabin,
>>including to the novel as well as the stage versions you mentioned. If
>>you have a chance to do this, you might send out the URL of the page
>>where we've already got 12 such allusions/quotations, 1929-1956. It's
>>the page we looked at Wonder Bar on this morning,
>><http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/utc/onstage/films/cameos/hollywood.html>http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/utc/onstage/films/cameos/hollywood.html
>>
>>That way people could see what I mean, and what we've already got.
>>I have already been the the NYPL Performing Arts library and captured
>>those Universal memos Denis Doros told us about, but I'm impressed at how
>>well your grapevine works! Thanks again, Steve
>::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
>Erika Day Media Librarian
>Robertson Media Center
>University of Virginia
>(434) 924-3341 | erikalynn@virginia.edu
><http://www.lib.virginia.edu/clemons/RMC/>http://www.lib.virginia.edu/clemons/RMC/
>
>Visit this URL to make a purchase request, book a room or reserve a video

Deborah Benrubi
Technical Services Librarian
University of San Francisco
Gleeson Library|Geschke Center
2130 Fulton St.
San Francisco, CA 94117

PHONE (415) 422-5672 / FAX (415) 422-2233 or 422-5062
EMAIL <benrubi@usfca.edu>