Re: [Videolib] DVD shelving

Meghann Matwichuk (mtwchk@udel.edu)
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:06:30 -0400

Hi Monique,

Probably the best (and quietest) browsing system I've seen for media was
at a public library (Urbana Free Library in Urbana, IL). Unfortunately
I don't see any pictures on their website to share, but hopefully I can
describe it well enough for you to get a good mental image. DVD covers
(or photocopies of them, if there wasn't an insert) were displayed in
large binders in alphabetical order (A-C, D-F, etc.). Patrons could
flip through these large books to see what was available. A card was
attached just inside each binder sheet section that the patron could
pull and bring to the front desk. The clerk would then pull the dvd and
check it out to said patron. If there was not card in the binder for a
particular title, you would assume it is checked out to another patron.
This system made a lot of sense to me, if you have room to display all
the binders. Much quieter than security cases rattling against each
other in bins, and much more secure than open shelving. Hope this
helps. (If you want a contact there, let me know.)

Best,

Meghann R. Matwichuk
Instructional Media Department
Morris Library