Re: [Videolib] DVD - Widescreen vs. Full Screen: "It's Time To See

Delin, Peter (delin@zlb.de)
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:04:04 +0200

Dear Julie,

we always try to purchase films on video and DVD in their true format.
To understand this issue one might think of Martin Scorsese's campaign
"It's Time To See What You've Been Missing" some years ago.

The Artists Rights Foundation sees picture integrity as part of the
artists rights
http://www.film-foundation.org/artistsrights/news_detail.cfm?QID=549

More info about widescreen vs. pan & scan on this site
http://www.widescreen.org/commentaries/2001_06_jun.shtml

"Director Martin Scorsese Lends Support To Philips' Digital Widescreen

Product Launch HOLLYWOOD: Legendary film director, Martin Scorsese
("Good Fellas"), will serve as spokesperson for ConsumerElectronics'
upcoming press launch of "It's Time To See What You've Been Missing," a
public education campaign supporting the introduction of Philips' new
line of High Definition, Widescreen Televisions.The year-long press
campaign is designed to educate the public about the benefits of viewing
movies as they were intended to be seen - in their original widescreen
format. A leading proponent of this format, Mr. Scorsese has provided
the client with "Martin Scorsese's Top 10 Movies Best Viewed in
Widescreen" and will host a satellite media tour in New York City in
early June to kick off the campaign. The Hollywood-Madison Group, a Los
Angeles-based company specializing in celebrity endorsements and
personal appearances secured the artist." (May 2001)

Seems he had been successful:
MORE AMERICANS DREAMING IN WIDESCREEN (April 2005)
http://datelinehollywood.com/archives/2005/04/17/more-americans-dreaming-in-widescreen/

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin