RE: [Videolib] DVD - Widescreen vs. Full Screen

Oksana Dykyj (oksana@vax2.concordia.ca)
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:34:56 -0400

Just a thought...

The reverse is now occurring I'm afraid. Patrons who buy 16:9 televisions
end up having their non-widescreen (usually pre 1950s ) titles stretched
out or masked on the sides, also reducing image size. Older-film
enthusiasts should probably keep a 4:3 monitor for the older films and a
16:9 for the new films to be truly satisfied...

Oksana
who speaks from personal experience on this issue

At 05:33 PM 7/12/2005, you wrote:
>FWIW, we purchase only the widescreen if available. Our thinking is much
>as yours. The image the director wanted was the widescreen, not a
>cropped/panned-and-scanned image. Perhaps your patron will buy the correct
>aspect screen next time. ;->
>

>Linda Cannon, Collection Development Librarian
>Joplin Public Library
>300 S. Main St.
>Joplin, MO 64801
>417-623-7953
>lcannon@joplinpubliclibrary.org

Oksana Dykyj voice: 514-848-2424 ext.3443
Head, Visual Media Resources fax: 514-848-3437
Faculty of Fine Arts
Concordia University
H-335, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W,
Montreal, Quebec