RE: [Videolib] DVD - Widescreen vs. Full Screen

Jaeschke, Myles (
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:01:33 -0500

Hi Julie,

Here at Tulsa City-County Library we only purchase the Widescreen version of a title.

Sometimes a visual description of Widescreen vs. Fullscreen is easier to show to a customer that to actually try and explain it. Whenever I need to explain this I like to use this website.

It is very clear on this webpage what you may be missing by watching a fullscreen version of a DVD.

Myles Jaeschke
Tulsa City-County Library
Media Librarian

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 4:04 PM
Subject: [Videolib] DVD - Widescreen vs. Full Screen

I would like some feedback from public librarians as to how they
purchase DVD's with Widescreen vs. Full Screen formats.   As a
librarian, I feel we should only purchase the Widescreen (Director's
cut) format, but our patrons seem to prefer the Fullscreen format.  As
one patron stated, he didn't buy a large screen tv to have only part of
the screen filled with the movie!  When the differences of the two
formats were explained to him, he still wanted the Fullscreen format.
Hopefully, you all can help me answer this dilemma so I can write my
collection guidelines as to which format we will purchase when faced
with the choice of only selecting one copy!   Thanks - Julie
Julie Spiegler
Kanawha County Public Library
Audiovisual Department Head
123 Capitol Street