RE: [Videolib] DVD - Widescreen vs. Full Screen

Linda Cannon (
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:33:56 -0500

FWIW, we purchase only the widescreen if available. Our thinking is much as yours. The image the director wanted was the widescreen, not a cropped/panned-and-scanned image. Perhaps your patron will buy the correct aspect screen next time. ;->

Linda Cannon, Collection Development Librarian
Joplin Public Library
300 S. Main St.
Joplin, MO 64801
-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 4:04 PM
Subject: [Videolib] DVD - Widescreen vs. Full Screen

I would like some feedback from public librarians as to how they purchase DVD's with Widescreen vs. Full Screen formats.   As a librarian, I feel we should only purchase the Widescreen (Director's
cut) format, but our patrons seem to prefer the Fullscreen format.  As one patron stated, he didn't buy a large screen tv to have only part of the screen filled with the movie!  When the differences of the two formats were explained to him, he still wanted the Fullscreen format. Hopefully, you all can help me answer this dilemma so I can write my collection guidelines as to which format we will purchase when faced with the choice of only selecting one copy!   Thanks - Julie
Julie Spiegler
Kanawha County Public Library
Audiovisual Department Head
123 Capitol Street