RE: [Videolib] Looking for technical information

Doshi, Ameet (doshia@cdnet.cod.edu)
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 12:00:08 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C583DE.7EE149A8

Hi Val,
=20
I found a short article in the "How It Works" series which might be =
helpful for your first question:
=20
"DVD-Rs contain a clear layer of an organic material that is transformed =
into a colored dye when activated by the writing laser in an appropriate =
DVD drive. The points of dye left by pulse of the writing laser are then =
read by a low-power laser in the way that the pits of a standard DVD are =
read. Since the activated dye cannot be returned to its original clear =
state, a given DVD-R can be written only once."
=20
Source: "Recording on DVDs." How It Works: Science and Technology. Vol. =
3. New York: Marshall Cavendish,=20
2003.
=20
Hope this helps,