[Videolib] Anime subject heading

Robert Bratton (Rbratton@umd.edu)
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:28:41 -0400

Gena,

You are correct and I was wrong. Anime is not an authorized LC subject
heading. . . yet.

However, I have submitted a change proposal to LC requesting that they
make "Anime" a legitimate subject heading, and I'm using the OED,
Encyclopaedia Britannica, and other authoritative sources to back me
up! We'll see what happens. At Maryland we decided that it was just
preposterous not to have it as an access point and we apply "Anime" as a
subject/genre heading to our anime videos; perhaps that's a bit
cavalier, but that's what we do. I had forgotten that this was our
local decision and not the official LC heading when I made my original
post, and I apologize for creating any confusion.

One could always create a local subject heading (655 4 or 655 7) for
"Anime."

Robert