RE: [Videolib] Anime subject heading

Bryan Baldus (
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:04:49 -0500

On Friday, June 17, 2005 2:34 PM, Robert Bratton wrote:
>On August 26, 2003, the Library of Congress finally saw the light and
>created the subject heading: "Anime," which is what we use on our anime
>videos in addition to "Animated films.

It appears the heading in question is not an authorized subject heading, but
rather a reference heading, referring the user to "headings for specific
types of animated media subdivided by Japan, e.g. $a Animated films--Japan."
The 008 field of the authority record, sh2003003075, is coded:
(09) Kind of record b = Untraced reference
(14) Heading use-main or added entry b = Not appropriate
(15) Heading use-subject added entry b = Not appropriate
(16) Heading use-series added entry b = Not appropriate

Another authority record, Animation (Cinematography)--Japan (sh 99004993)
includes 'Anime' as one of its references (along with Japanese animation and

I believe we use Animated films--Japan.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you,

Bryan Baldus
Quality Books Inc.