Re: [Videolib] 2 questions: dispatch from reuters, and streaming

Jessica Rosner (jrosner@kino.com)
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:55:43 -0400

--B_3201522945_21156376

> [...]
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Hmmmmm...
>=20
> I'd stay clear of the San Francisco guy unless he can prove that he has
> rights...
>=20
> You're second question is more complex than it would seem. What does "us=
> titles from your collection as part of a streaming media package" mean?
>=20
> You need to determine:
> a) the specific use (in connection with a learning management sys=
tem?
> Distance ed? classroom use? open access web sites? in connec=
tion
> with publication?)
> b) what kinds of material (feature films? home video documentari=
es?
> independently distributed docs?)
> c) how much is going to be used, and how often.
>=20
> While there are no fast and hard legal guidelines, you might consider loo=
king
> at the Multimedia
> <http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/ccmcguid.htm> Fair Use
> Guidelines (CCUMC)
> <http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/ccmcguid.htm>
> http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/ccmcguid.htm which at le=
ast
> attempt to define some good faith guidelines for using copyrighted media =
in
> various educational contexts.
>=20
> Be cautious!
>=20
> Gary Handman
>=20
> At 02:34 PM 6/13/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>> 1. Does anyone know the copyright status of Dispatch from Reuters? I c=
an't
>> find it with any of my usual vendors, but an instructor referred me to a=
>> individual in San Francisco who says he can sell it to me on vhs or DVD.
>> What do you think, is this legit?
>> 2. What do you do when an instructor wants to use titles from your
>> collection as part of a streaming media package? Does anyone have
>> guideliines posted?
>> Thanks for any help,
>> Maureen
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
> Gary Handman
> Director
> Media Resources Center
> Moffitt Library
> UC Berkeley
> ghandman@library.berkeley.edu
> http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC
>=20
> <http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC> ****
>=20
> "Movies are poems, a holy bible, the great mother of us."

Proud Resident of a BLUE STATE
=20
Jessica Rosner
Kino International
333 W 39th St. 503
NY NY 10018
jrosner@kino.com
212-629-6880

--B_3201522945_21156376

Re: [Videolib] 2 questions:  dispatch from reuters, and streami= ng media

This film is owned by Fox and has never been legally released. You ca= n’t even purchase it legally let alone stream it.

I don’t believe that you can ever legally stream a feature film witho= ut permission of the rights holder and
at this point I don’t see studio’s licensing those rights anyti= me soon but in the case of this title it  is
moot as you can’t get  a legal copy.

It does from time to time run on cable but then your prof could only use it= if the class time was close enough to
airtime for off- air taping rule

Jessica

Hmmmmm...

I'd stay clear of the San Francisco guy unless he can prove that he has rig= hts...

You're second question is more complex than it would seem.  What does = "use titles from your collection as part of a streaming media package&q= uot; mean?

[...]

1.  Does anyone know the copyright status of Dispa= tch from Reuters?  I can't find it with any of my usual vendors, but an= instructor referred me to an individual in San Francisco who says he can se= ll it to me on vhs or DVD.  What do you think, is this legit?
2.  What do you do when an instructor wants to use titles from your co= llection as part of a streaming media package?  Does anyone have guidel= iines posted?
Thanks for any help,
Maureen

UC Berkeley

<http://www.lib.berkeley= .edu/MRC> ****