Re: [Videolib] 2 questions: dispatch from reuters, and

Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:28:21 -0700

--=====================_534983656==.ALT

Hmmmmm...

I'd stay clear of the San Francisco guy unless he can prove that he has
rights...

You're second question is more complex than it would seem. What does "use
titles from your collection as part of a streaming media package" mean?

You need to determine:
a) the specific use (in connection with a learning management
system? Distance ed? classroom use? open access
web sites? in connection with publication?)
b) what kinds of material (feature films? home video
documentaries? independently distributed docs?)
c) how much is going to be used, and how often.

While there are no fast and hard legal guidelines, you might consider
looking at the
<http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/ccmcguid.htm>Multimedia
Fair Use<http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/ccmcguid.htm>
Guidelines (CCUMC)
http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/ccmcguid.htm which at
least attempt to define some good faith guidelines for using copyrighted
media in various educational contexts.

Be cautious!

Gary Handman

At 02:34 PM 6/13/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>1. Does anyone know the copyright status of Dispatch from Reuters? I
>can't find it with any of my usual vendors, but an instructor referred me
>to an individual in San Francisco who says he can sell it to me on vhs or
>DVD. What do you think, is this legit?
>2. What do you do when an instructor wants to use titles from your
>collection as part of a streaming media package? Does anyone have
>guideliines posted?
>Thanks for any help,
>Maureen

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan

Hmmmmm...

I'd stay clear of the San Francisco guy unless he can prove that he has rights...

You're second question is more complex than it would seem.  What does "use titles from your collection as part of a streaming media package" mean?

You need to determine:
        a) the specific use (in connection with a learning management system?  Distance ed?  classroom use?  open access web            sites?  in connection with publication?)
        b) what kinds of material (feature films?  home video documentaries?  independently distributed docs?)
        c) how much is going to be used, and how often.

While there are no fast and hard legal guidelines, you might consider looking at the Multimedia Fair Use Guidelines (CCUMC)