RE: [Videolib] Librarians in cinema

Sakarya, Mustafa (MSakarya@mercy.edu)
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:56:05 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C56854.C01925A0

Also, no one has mentioned an animation/live-action film called
Pagemaster (mid 1990's) with Macauley Caulkin, which features many
library scenes, where books magically come to life, taking on the
persona of their contents.

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu]On Behalf Of Gary Handman
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 10:47 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] Librarians in cinema

Sorry if I'm slow on the uptake here (I've been on jury duty)... I
assume someone has reported on the following new publication

The image of librarians in cinema, 1917-1999 / Ray Tevis and Brenda
Tevis.
Author
<http://sunsite5.berkeley.edu:8000/WebZ/QUERY?sessionid=3D01-33178-208175=
1
515&termsrch-pa%3D=3DTevis%2C+Ray*&next=3Dhtml/resultsframe.html&bad=3Der=
ror/b
adsearchframe.html&entitytoprecno=3D1:entitycurrecno=3D1:numrecs=3D20:key=
1=3DDat
e:direction1=3Dd:key2=3DAuthor:direction2=3Da:key3=3DTitle:direction3=3Da=
:key1=3DDat
e:direction1=3Dd:key2=3DAuthor:direction2=3Da:key3=3DTitle:direction3=3Da=
> Tevis,
Ray.=20
Place/Publisher Jefferson, N.C. : McFarland & Co.,=20
Date c2005.
Description ix, 230 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.=20
Notes Includes bibliographical references (p. 219-223) and index.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
"This work analyzes the stereotypical image of librarians, in motion
pictures from the silent era to the 21st century. The work briefly
describes each film, and then examines its librarian, considering every
aspect of the total character from socio-economic conditions and
motivations for leaving or not leaving the library, to personal
attributes, to props, plot situations and lines"--Provided by publisher.

UC Berkeley

****

--Ted Berrigan=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C56854.C01925A0

Also,=20 no one has mentioned an animation/live-action film called=20 Pagemaster (mid 1990's) with Macauley Caulkin, which = features=20 many library scenes, where books magically come to life, taking on the = persona=20 of their contents.