Re: [Videolib] Repackaging of dvd multi-disc series.

Jen Stutesman (jennifer.stutesman@wwcc.edu)
Thu, 02 Jun 2005 11:33:12 -0700

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 11:17:13 -0400
"Tamara Kobziar" <tkobziar@tcpl.org> wrote:
> A patron complaint initiated our "Processing guidelines
>for multi-disc
> dvds" procedure.

You know, that reminds *me* of a problem I run into
constantly: We don't buy a lot of TV shows, but we do buy
a lot of multi-disc DVD sets. Usually PBS stuff. I really
hate it when the company packages the DVDs in beautiful
fold-out box art, but then uses cheap clear plastic box
hubs that break on the first circ! They refuse to hold the
DVDs anymore, and the DVDs fall out when the students are
checking them back in. That forces me to put them in
studier plastic boxes and copy /scan the art so that the
new box at least still looks interesting enough to pick
up. A good example is the recent packaging for Ken Burns'
"Civil War" or season one of "The X-Files".
-jen

"We allow our ignorance to prevail upon us and make us
think we can survive alone, alone in patches, alone in
groups, alone in races, even alone in genders." - Maya
Angelou, The New York Times, 11 March 1990.
Jen Stutesman
Instructional, Media and Technical Services Librarian
Walla Walla Community College
Walla Walla, WA