Re: [Videolib] Librarians or libraries in movies

MileFilms@aol.com
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:48:18 EDT

--part1_149.4636b58b.2fd06822_boundary

In a message dated 6/1/05 9:31:18 PM, sarah-andrews@uiowa.edu writes:

> Our library is planning to have a film festival this fall.=A0 We want to s=
how=20
> movies that have a focus on libraries or librarians, or perhaps books.=A0=20=
Does=20
> anyone have any suggestions for us?=A0
>=20
> We don't want something like The Big Sleep or The Station Agent--good=20
> movies, but the focus is not on the librarian or libraries.
>=20

Desk Set is the most obvious. Music Man, of course (I know, Maid Marion is a=
=20
stereotype, but I suspect many wouldn't mind if their lives were played by a=
=20
young Shirley Jones being courted by a young Robert Preston... Film=20
distributors would probably be played by Danny Devito and Rhea Pearlman, tho=
ugh Amy would=20
have more cause for complaint than I.)

If you do a videolib search, I believe that this topic came up several years=
=20
ago?

AND, if you did research (Google "Films about libraries" or "Films about=20
librarians"), you would come up with:

http://www.san-andreas-sla.org/faultline/March200212.htm
http://www.filmlibrarian.info/top10.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~movielibrarians/
http://emp.byui.edu/RAISHM/films/introduction.html
http://wings.buffalo.edu/publications/mcjrnl/v1n1/image.html

though not on subject, here's the unusual
http://www.sonic.net/%7Eerisw/bdlib.html
and I'm SURE that a poll by videolib regarding likely participants would be=20
fascinating -- we want photos of Gary!

and even a documentary in the works!
http://www.hollywoodlibrarian.com/

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (201) 767-3117 or (800) 603-1104 (in the US)
Fax: (201) 767-3035
Email: milefilms@aol.com
www.milestonefilms.com

--part1_149.4636b58b.2fd06822_boundary