RE: [Videolib] TV shows on dvd

Jeff Pearson (jwpearso@umich.edu)
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:57:56 -0400

We split them up, and our catalogers don't seem to have a problem with it.
When I look up stuff on WorldCat I see many examples of cataloging for
individual discs in boxed sets.

Our most-circulated TV series: Sex and the City. We have all the seasons (an
instructor requested them), and they are ALL constantly out. Amazing.

-Jeff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeffrey W. Pearson
Librarian, Askwith Film and Video Library
University of Michigan
Shapiro Library, Room 2178
919 S. University
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1185

Phone: (734) 763-3758
Fax: (734) 764-7087
email: jwpearso@umich.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Deborah T. Walsh
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 3:14 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] TV shows on dvd

Twisting this thread slightly to satisfy my own needs, I wonder how
libraries already collecting TV shows on DVD package (or repackage?) them
for circulation.

Our circ policy is 7 days, no renewals on DVDs and it grieves me to tie up
an expensive multipart item the patron probably has NO hope of viewing in
our short loan period while long reserve lists build on it.

Do you chop them up into pieces, as a rule, or not worry about this problem?
If you chop them up, how do you catalog them?

Deborah T. Walsh
Geneva Public Library District
Geneva, IL
dwalsh@geneva.lib.il.us