RE: [Videolib] TV Series on DVD

Carol Dunn (dunn@findlaylibrary.org)
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 12:37:29 -0400

If you go to our online catalog and type in Television Programs
under subject, 111 DVDs come up, and we have quite a few on order.
Call it subject/genre, the patron just wants to find the
item in a subject field. Here is a case in point, try finding
Unlocking Da Vinci's code (DVD)
unless you know the title or have a cataloger like I do
who is savvy enough to make a subject called "Da Vinci Code"
that DVD cannot be found on the system, because it will not
come up under Title Keyword "Da Vinci Code". No one is going
to look for the subject heading Leonardo Da Vinci.
Subjects are so important, and the more the merrier!
Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: Tatar, Becky [mailto:bltata@aurora.lib.il.us]
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 5:06 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: RE: [Videolib] TV Series on DVD

Mike, these are just the kinds of subject headings we like. We do get
patrons who ask for American life on the frontier in a movie for kids.
Not all the staff may know whether or not we have the Little House
titles. With not everyone getting cable, many people don't know about
the series. I know it's hard on the catalogers, but the more subject
headings, the better

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library