RE: [Videolib] The Power of Nightmares (Adam Curtis)

Milos Stehlik (mstehlik@comcast.net)
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 05:56:18 -0500

Curtis and the BBC cleared a lot of the footage and a slightly shortened (2
1/2 hour) feature-length version of Power of Nightmares was shown at the
just-concluded Cannes Film Festival. There, it was reported to be sold to
Sony Classics for distribution.

Milos Stehlik
Facets Multi-Media, Inc.
1517 West Fullerton Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614 USA
Voice: 1-773-281-9075
FAX: 1-773-929-5437
milos@facets.org

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Delin, Peter
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 4:33 AM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: [Videolib] The Power of Nightmares (Adam Curtis)

We are searching for the BBC series "The Power of Nightmares" by Adam
Curtis. The only source I've found is a stream
http://www.archive.org/details/ThePowerOfNightmares
and atranscript http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/video1037.htm

While writing this mail for Videolib to ask for a source of a video or
DVD edition of this series and meanwhile checking the internet I just
saw this statement from director Curtis:

DIRECTOR ADAM CURTIS: There are no immediate plans to release the series
on DVD or video as it would be difficult to secure the archival footage
and music rights.
http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeye/powerofnightmares/interview.html

Again some sort of "censorship" because of rights. Certain types of
films as essay films or compilation films become more and more difficult
to be made because of these circumstances (see Godard's "Histoire(s) du
Cinema" or "Eyes on the Prize") By the way this case shows again how
important physical editions on Video and DVD are compared to broadcast
or streaming and how much they are wanted by the general public.

More information here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/4202741.stm

"The problem is that the films are full of archive film and music from a
multitude of sources. The reason my series are normally not released on
DVD is that it is prohibitively costly and a nightmare - no pun intended
- to clear the rights." Adam Curtis

Any information on coming legal editions of this title appreciated
(there are some bootlegs available on the internet).

With kind regards
Peter Delin/Videolektorat
http://www.zlb.de/index.html