RE: [Videolib] TV Series on DVD

Tatar, Becky (bltata@aurora.lib.il.us)
Tue, 31 May 2005 16:06:21 -0500

Mike, these are just the kinds of subject headings we like. We do get
patrons who ask for American life on the frontier in a movie for kids.
Not all the staff may know whether or not we have the Little House
titles. With not everyone getting cable, many people don't know about
the series. I know it's hard on the catalogers, but the more subject
headings, the better

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library
1 E. Benton Street
Aurora, IL 60505
Phone: 630-264-4100
FAX: 630-896-3209
bltata@aurora.lib.il.us
www.aurora.lib.il.us

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Mike Tribby
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 3:06 PM
To: 'videolib@library.berkeley.edu'
Subject: RE: [Videolib] TV Series on DVD

Perhaps I'm asking a question you're all already tired of hearing from
your own catalogers (assuming any of your august institutions still
employ fulltime catalogers, that is), but just exactly what kind of
subject access are you looking for concerning TV series on video?
Something like "Women physicians--West (U.S.)--Drama" for Dr. Quinn? I
wouldn't think subject access is really what you mean here, so I'd
suggest using genre headings, although those would still be pretty
broad. Don't most patrons search TV series by title? And if you classify
your videos (hardly a safe
assumption...) wouldn't they all be together on the shelf to enhance
browsing?

"Clowns--Death--Minnesota--Minneapolis--Drama" for Chuckles Bites the
Dust? and don't even get me started on warmedies like Little House....

Treacle--West (U.S.)--Drama (Actually we used: "Frontier and pioneer
life--Great Plains--Drama" and "Family--Great Plains--Drama" plus the
genre heading "Western television programs" on at least one bundle of
Little House
episodes)

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger