RE: [Videolib] TV Series on DVD

Mike Tribby (mike.tribby@quality-books.com)
Tue, 31 May 2005 15:06:09 -0500

Perhaps I'm asking a question you're all already tired of hearing from your
own catalogers (assuming any of your august institutions still employ
fulltime catalogers, that is), but just exactly what kind of subject access
are you looking for concerning TV series on video? Something like "Women
physicians--West (U.S.)--Drama" for Dr. Quinn? I wouldn't think subject
access is really what you mean here, so I'd suggest using genre headings,
although those would still be pretty broad. Don't most patrons search TV
series by title? And if you classify your videos (hardly a safe
assumption...) wouldn't they all be together on the shelf to enhance
browsing?

"Clowns--Death--Minnesota--Minneapolis--Drama" for Chuckles Bites the Dust?
and don't even get me started on warmedies like Little House....

Treacle--West (U.S.)--Drama (Actually we used: "Frontier and pioneer
life--Great Plains--Drama" and "Family--Great Plains--Drama" plus the genre
heading "Western television programs" on at least one bundle of Little House
episodes)

Mike Tribby
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.