RE: [Videolib] Alfred's Place

McGuire, Dennis (dmcguire@colum.edu)
Tue, 31 May 2005 08:49:30 -0500

(f) 312.344.8062=20

-----Original Message-----
From: videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-bounces@library.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of
MileFilms@aol.com
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 3:41 PM
To: videolib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Alfred's Place

My two cents is what he's doing is definitely illegal, though I agree,
I'm not sure he's being devious or ignorant. Especially since he puts
his home address on the website. Actually, there are NO Alfred Hitchcock
feature films in the public domain -- at least from England or Germany.
America's acceptance of the Gatt/Uruguay treaty took care of that for
better or worse quite a while ago.

Publicly trading copies of videos is also not legal. His concept that
public institutions can't trade so they should buy is also definitely a
bad signal. And lastly, as someone who has seen WAY too many illegal
tapes, they are rarely worth the price and might I add, give a false
impression of what cinema looked like to the students. (Hence, all those
crappy commercials and flashbacks recreating old films with blur,
scratches and dust...) Mere content is rarely worth the tradeoff in
quality, especially with works of art.

I do absolutely agree with Jeff that ethics should be involved, and I
agree with him that ethics should be considered BEFORE a tape or DVD is
purchased and that public funds shouldn't be used.=20

Dennis Doros (who is disturbed by the fact that our Hitchcock films are
on this guy's list, but it's unclear whether or not they're for sale or
trade)
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128
Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: (800) 603-1104 or (201) 767-3117
Fax: (201) 767-3035
Email: milefilms@aol.com
Website: http://www.milestonefilms.com

------_=_NextPart_001_01C565E7.92462B27

Message

Thanks=20 to Jeff and Dennis.

My=20 inquiry was really a front to get valid responses from others to present = to the=20 instructor as he isn't convinced that I ought not get the = films.  I=20 completely agree that ethics should be the decisive factor in a = 'purchase' from=20 this guy.

Still=20 hoping to hear from Jessica on this one ...  :)

Dennis

Dennis McGuire
Head of=20 Digital and Media Services
Columbia College Chicago Library