Re: [Videolib] Weeding 16 MM Films

Rick Faaberg (rfaaberg@comcast.net)
Wed, 25 May 2005 21:54:47 -0700

On 5/25/05 11:32 AM "John Streepy" <John.Streepy@cwu.EDU> sent this out:

> after seeing its use drop to below minuscule levels, my dean has
> decided that it is time to weed our 16 MM. I have some thoughts on the
> best way to go about this, but I thought I'd tap into the collective
> brain as to see if others have any advice as we go about this. You can
> reply to me directly if you like. Thanks

Several years ago, I developed a relationship with a film studies
organization that welcomed donations of *anything* on 16mm film for their
archive and they use those films for, obviously, film study - including
production, writing, direction, etc. from bygone days and do comparative
studies vs. "current" direction and production methods and practice, etc. I
literally sent probably 6-8 pallets of K-12 educational films to them. Those
pallets were extremely heavy, btw. ;-)

My admins thought the organization was a worthy cause and didn't question
the donation to these folks:

NW Film Center
<http://www.nwfilm.org/>

Don't know if they still want films, but I'd check. They're in Portland, OR
not *that* far from you.

Tell them I sent you! :-) Just kidding.

Rick Faaberg