Re: [Videolib] Edited Movies

k (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Thu, 19 May 2005 09:57:13 -0400

When I answered this question earlier, I'd completely
forgotten about this recent bill passage. However, I agree
with George on its interpretation below.

So a form of my earlier suggestion remains: If this
legislation starts pressuring the studios to meet this market
themselves, then libraries can buy.

If they want to. I won't get into my own observations--which
challenge both sides of the fence--on whether "edited
editions" are proper. Basically, I think libraries shouldn't
buy them though, unless they want to consider offering two
versions of such titles in a public library environment, or
in academia want to study the effects on meaning and effect
of such content changes, or somesuch....

Jeff