Re: [Videolib] Edited Movies

i (clarkjc@jmu.edu)
Thu, 19 May 2005 09:42:40 -0400

Kathy,

Wow, I hadn't thought that the Cleanflicks syndrome would
appear in our domain quite this soon.

My own thoughts:

Until and unless the film companies who own the movie
productions issue edited versions themselves, I'd stay away
from such purchases until the legal dust settles over whether
a second-party company has the right to service this special
viewing need/market. Even then, a favorable legal decision
may not end up supporting library purchases of such titles
for public distribution, depending on the quirks in such a
ruling, the way businesses service this sub-market, etc.

In short, it's only a no-brainer solution for libraries if
the legit copyright owners of the films end up issuing these
edited versions, if only to compete with these ancillary
businesses that may or may not prove legal.

Jeff